Sunday, August 19, 2012

I love the farmer's market

So I wanted to blog last night, but by the time I got ready to start, it was already really late. And then my photos kept freezing up while trying to transfer them to the computer.
Next thing I know, I'm looking at the clock and it's like 2 am.
So I told myself it would just have to wait!!

Mom and I got up early yesterday morning to hit up the farmer's market on the square and I was SO glad we did.
We finally found some nice, BIG eggplant! Most vendors have only had these pathetic, tiny eggplant, and were charging a ton for them too. Well this week, my favorite stand had some great eggplant and for only $1 each! We also got a ton of green and red peppers from another stand. It was a really nice morning too, not too hot.
I went home and did stuff with the kids for a little bit, then laid down and took a nap. I didn't get much sleep, plus getting up early sucked. Matt had to go to work at 4pm, so I took advantage of the early afternoon with a little nap before he had to leave.
Mom got most of the peppers done while I was napping. We had to finish using/freeze the rest of the ground beef we bought at Sam's Club, so she made some stuffed peppers to freeze, meatballs to freeze, and cleaned/cut/froze the rest of the peppers.
We got a bunch of chicken and ground beef by the case at AMAZING prices at Sam's Club, so then we were repackaging it and vacuum-sealing it with our Foodsaver. We just portion it out into the amounts we need for dinners and we're all set to go. We also started figuring out what types of things we can make ahead and freeze to have as an already prepared meal. I made a bunch of chili, we've done over 200 meatballs, stuffed peppers, stuffed jalapenos, meatloaves..... It's so nice to have things on hand already made for when you're tired or short on time. And it's not store-bought with tons of sodium and preservatives. We made it, so we know exactly what's in it.
Tonight I peeled, cut, and breaded the eggplant and we are freezing that all up for eggplant parm. It took a little while to do, but it's well worth it later on.

Yum yum! I love fresh, cheap produce!

Today was a pretty relaxed day. Not a whole lot going on, but we did get Logan a haircut for school.

Here's my cute little sweetpea being all cranky after waking up from a nap:

Just snuggling with papa.


No comments:

Post a Comment