Saturday, January 12, 2013

TGIF?

It's been a long week. Meredith and I have been very sick, luckily Logan only has a bit of the sniffles. By Wednesday I was getting concerned about Meredith, she was having very bad wheezing a few times a night, and getting that horrid "barking" cough, as well as some really think, dark green drainage during the day. I was concerned about a sinus infection, and possible croup.
Took her to the doctor, and thank God her lungs and everything were good, as were her ears. Doctor said based on what I told her, it was probably croup, so she set us up with a prescription (that should also help with a sinus infection if she was getting the onset of that). Then of course, later that day, she started getting a really bad diaper rash, and from Wednesday to Thursday it was HORRIFYING. Really raw, starting to bleed a little. Poor baby was just writhing in pain. It basically took 3 people to hold her down and wipe her when she had #2 to change her diaper. We switched from our maximum strength diaper cream to a prescription cream we had from a previous visit, and there was a drastic improvement overnight to today. Still not all cleared up, but hopefully we are getting there.
Logan never had diaper rashes as a baby, but poor Meredith gets them pretty frequently. We change her constantly, but it doesn't seem to matter. She must just have really, super sensitive skin. I feel terrible every time it happens, but what else can I do? She gets changed IMMEDIATELY when we know she's done #2, and probably at least every 2 hours otherwise. I always, always use a baby powder to keep her dry, but I just can't seem to win. She's got her last day of antibiotics tomorrow, and maybe that's part of what is causing this, so we will see what happens with that also.
I haven't really gotten much sleep the last 2 nights. We had a successful night of BOTH kids sleeping in their room alone on Wednesday night, but I was just so worried and waiting for someone to wake up, or listening to every little cough I heard that I couldn't even enjoy getting to be in my bed. I barely slept an hour. Then last night it was one kid or the other. Logan coughing, Meredith coughing, Logan waking up and wanting to come in our bed. Then of course, they were both up at the buttcrack of dawn. Just my luck.
I did take 2 short naps today, and that's just about all that kept me going.
Lack of sleep is the biggest killer for me. I can handle most other hurdles as long as I'm not dead tired. 2 days without sleep, and I start to get a little crazy and on edge. Plus I've been pretty sick too, and that is making this all worse. I'm more tired because I'm sick, and I'm probably not getting better because I'm not getting sleep. Vicious cycle. Hopefully I am nearing the end of it. I can only pray. My throat isn't killing me anymore, but the sinuses and drainage are still pretty bad. I've been popping cold meds like crazy, but am too hesitant to take anything PM, because I'm worried I either won't hear the kids during the night, or if I do, I'll be too zonked out to take care of them. But believe me, I'd die to be able to pop 2 NyQuil PMs and sleep 8-9 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment